If you have receding gums, the usual treatment is a gum graft. However, Dr. Kenneth Baker is certified to perform the Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique, an alternative gum repair surgery that doesn’t require incisions or sutures. Compared to a gum graft, pinhole surgery is:
- Less invasive. Dr. Baker makes tiny holes in your gum tissue, then uses special instruments to gently reposition it. That’s it! He doesn’t have to transfer tissue from anywhere else in your mouth.
- Faster. Because it can be completed in an hour, the pinhole procedure is sometimes referred to as a lunchtime gum lift. Your recovery will be quicker, too.
- More comfortable. With no incisions or stitches, you’ll likely only need local anesthesia.
- A more immediate improvement. Unlike a gum graft, you’ll enjoy healthier-looking gums right away.
- More natural looking. Because no tissue is moved from elsewhere in your mouth, there are no concerns about mismatched gums.
If you need gum recession treatment, call Kenneth W. Baker, DDS and Associates at (956) 232-8029. Pinhole surgery will restore your gums to health!
Prevent Receding Gums With Gum Disease Treatment
Receding gums are often caused by gum disease, also known as periodontal disease. Treating it in its early stages will prevent gum recession from occurring in the first place. We check for signs of the disease during every dental exam. We treat it with a deep cleaning procedure called scaling and root planing that removes bacteria from above and below the gumline. We sometimes follow this with applications of topical antibiotics and/or mouth rinses to discourage bacteria growth.
If gum disease recurs, we can offer an OralDNA® test that shows exactly what kind of bacteria are in your mouth so you can get even more targeted treatment. The test can also flag other conditions that may need attention.
For more information about gum disease, receding gums, and the Chao Pinhole® Surgical Technique, call (956) 232-8029.